Monday, February 13, 2012

I Am.

Quite frequently I feel like I have more questions about the Lord than answers.  I find myself asking, "Why, God?" so often.  I look at the world around me and wonder why all the time.  Why do children have to suffer? Why did my dear friend have to lose her identical twin baby boys, John Wilson and Casswell?  Parents should never have to bury their children.  Why did one of the most amazing women I've ever known lose her daughter, Shelly, this weekend?  Then I am reminded that the Lord tells us in this life we will face many hardships and trials.  Some of these trials will shake us to the core and test every ounce of faith we have in us.  Some of them will make us want to simply lay down and give up.  These are the moments when God can show his love, power, and mercy in a great and mighty way.  These are moments when the enemy can be silenced.

Two words have been resounding in my spirit over the past few days.  They are simple, yet so deep it nearly confounds me.  "I am."  In the book of John, Jesus makes several declarations about who He is, but I have really been meditating on one particular verse.  John 8:58 states, "'I tell you the truth,' Jesus answered, 'before Abraham was born, I am.'"  I've heard this verse so many times throughout my life, but it is really pounding in my spirit lately. All I keep hearing Him say is, "I am." This verse is there to show us that He is the eternal God.  He was there in the beginning and He will be there in the end.

In all the sadness, turmoil, sickness, death, and war we often find ourselves asking, "God, where are You?"  I think His answer is this, "I am all that you need Me to be when you need Me to be it, because I am. I am peace. I am love. I am healing. I am joy. I am your comforter. I am your protector. I am your provider. I am your deliverer.  I am the one who conquered death, hell, and the grave.  I am."

Where do you find yourself today?  Are you grieving, addicted, lonely, confused, sick? The answer for your every need is simple.  Turn to the great I Am. Press into the one who is our everything.  I don't know why my friend had to lose her sweet babies or why my precious adopted grandmother had to lose her daughter, but I know that what the enemy meant to harm them will be turned around for their good and glory will be brought to the name of Jesus. Please know this...God does not take our children away from us.  The enemy does that.  God's word says that it is not His will that any should perish.  He intends for each of us to live long, healthy lives.  Satan is the one who destroys life.  But God is the one who takes that heartache and pain and shows His hand of mercy and healing.  God is a God of restoration.  God is in the business of saving lives, not taking lives.  I love this scripture - Genesis 50:20 says, "You intended to harm me, But God intended it for good to accomplish what is now being done, the saving of many lives."  What the enemy means to use to destroy one life can be used by God to save many.

No comments:

Post a Comment